A lot of individuals know that driving and drinking do not mix. However, a lot of them still do it. Every day, there are around 300,000 incidents of drunk driving. This is according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Usually, an arrest does not mark the first time a person drives while drunk. On average, before getting caught, a driver has driven drunk 80 times already.
The penalties for drunk driving can be severe. This is particularly true if you don’t have Fort Myers DUI lawyers to help you.
What are the Penalties for Driving While Intoxicated?
You are basically compromising responsiveness and cognitive ability whenever you drive while drunk. This raises the possibility for accidents to happen. The truth is that every day, more than 25 people die due to drunk driving.
If you get caught for the first time, driving while intoxicated might have personal, financial, legal, and even professional consequences.
- Your insurance might not cover the payment for injury treatment if you’re involved in an accident as a result of you driving while intoxicated.
- After you’re convicted of a DUI, you should expect your insurance rate to greatly increase.
- A DUI conviction might result in job restriction or loss. This includes operating the car of your company. It does not matter if it is your first time getting caught.
- You might be needed to install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle. You will be prevented from using the car if it detects indications of alcohol.
- A couple of states need mandatory jail time, as well as fines and fees. It does not matter if it is your first time.
- If the driver is using the car of the company to drive while intoxicated, the employer will also be accountable for the driver’s actions. This can greatly affect the future employment of the driver.
- Almost every state will suspend your license for various periods. Oftentimes, it might take up to 12 months before you can drive again. Usually, several convictions result in the revocation of your license. If you are using a commercial driver’s license, you may be suspended from driving for a longer time.
How Can You Prevent Yourself Driving While Intoxicated?
The first thing you’ve got to do is to plan ahead and make excellent decisions. Here are a couple of tips you can follow to prevent yourself from driving while intoxicated:
- If you’re not protecting yourself, you can protect your friends or family by taking their keys if they try to drive while drunk. They might get angry at you. However, the result can be a lot worse if you allow them to drive.
- You should not get inside a vehicle with a driver who has been intoxicated.
- You should contact a car-sharing service or taxi for a ride such as Lyft or Uber if you have been drinking.
- You shouldn’t feel pressured to drink. If you really want to do so, make sure you do it responsibly. Drink a lot of water and eat a lot of food.